Forum rules
We spend our leisure time to make RUNALYZE as good as possible and we still have tons of great ideas, but time is scarce and after a hard training we first need some fruits or a smoothie. You can support the development of RUNALYZE with every financial contribution — We highly appreciate every grant.
https://blog.runalyze.com/donate/
blahdi
Neuling

2 key differences in Track statistics (for same GPX track) in Locusmap vs RunAnalyze

Fri 1. Mar 2019, 05:59

I recorded a Hiking GPS track in LocusMaps using a external heart rate monitor (strap from Wahoo), and then used LocusMaps option to export the track to Runalze.com.

I am finding 2 key differences in the values of the same track shown in both apps.

Runanalyze Locusmaps
4.60 mi Distance 4.6 mi --> Same
1:56:37 Time 1:47:50 --> Nearly Same
2:32:10 Elapsed time 2:32:42 --> Nearly Same
2,4 mph avg. Speed 2.5mph --> Nearly Same
XX bpm avg. Heart rate XX--> Nearly Same
XX bpm max. Heart rate XX ---> Nearly Same
661 kcal Energy 996 ---> Big Difference --> I am *guessing* the locusMap value is closer to what is reported by Wahoo HR strap, and seems more realistic (the track generated by Wahoo HR strap is of 1 hr longer duration since it includes the time I was driving the car. )
2.448 ft Elevation 1392 --> Big Difference --> for RunAnalyze, is this value Elevation gain or Elevation Gain+Loss?

Any thoughts on the differences?
0 x

mipapo
Administrator

Re: 2 key differences in Track statistics (for same GPX track) in Locusmap vs RunAnalyze

Fri 1. Mar 2019, 06:24

Why do you record the car driving? That makes absolutely no sense

The elevation is always recalculated by Runalyze. Please read the FAQ: https://runalyze.com/help/article/2

Calories: Please read the FAQ: https://runalyze.com/help/article/3
0 x

blahdi
Neuling

Re: 2 key differences in Track statistics (for same GPX track) in Locusmap vs RunAnalyze

Fri 1. Mar 2019, 06:42

1. "Why do you record the car driving? That makes absolutely no sense" --> it should make sense with this clarification.

Two different devices are recording - SmartPhone app called LocusMap, and Wahoo HR chest trap.

After the hike, I immediately switch off recording in LocusMap App, but Wahoo HR chest strap continues recording HR in offline mode until strap is removed (you can tap to pause it, but thats not easy to do with multiple layers of clothes in winter, and we don't want to spend time removing the chest strap in cold weather.).

2. Elevation -Got it - thanks for the nicely written article. Its the total elevation.

3. Calories: The article says Runalyze reads value from file. Even Locusmap reads the value from the same GPX file, but displays a different number.
0 x

mipapo
Administrator

Fri 1. Mar 2019, 06:52

Calories: maybe it's missing in the fit file? please attach the files so we can have a look at it
0 x

blahdi
Neuling

Fri 1. Mar 2019, 21:34

Michael, thank u for your response.

due to privacy reasons, is there a way to send the file to you directly, without it being accessible to a public forum?
0 x

blahdi
Neuling

Fri 1. Mar 2019, 23:41

I will get back to you soon.

Upon further investigation, I found there is no calories in GPX file, which explains why the calories are calculated differently by each app.

I think I now understand the broader issue. From the files which Locusmap currently generates - GPX and TCX, I haven't found a file format that contains *ALL* four (Location, Heart rate, Calories, HRV) in same file.

Locusmap is planning to support FIT format, and I hope it includes all four elements in it. I have asked Locusmaps team about this.

Thank u for continued support!
0 x

Return to “Discussion, Feedback & Questions”