cfeilmayr
Neuling

Re: VO2max Schätzung und Berechnung

Hallo Hannes!

Mich würde der aktuelle Status der VO2max-Abschätzung interessieren. Gibt es dazu eine Doku?
Im Glossar wird ja nicht auf Details der Auswertung eingegangen. (https://runalyze.com/glossary/vo2max)

Erfolgt die Berechnung aus:
1 - MITTELWERTEN einer Trainingseinheit: mittlerer HF (unter Berücksichtigung der HFmax), mittlerer
GAP (oder Höhenmeter-Korrektur) und indiv. Korr.Faktor ODER
2 - Einzelwerten, die in Abschnitten ermittelt werden - inkl. robuster Schätzung?

Wenn 1, gibt es die Möglichkeit, die Daten der ersten x Minuten bis zum Erreichen einer stabilen HF bei der Mittelwertsbildung rauszunehmen?

LG Christoph
laufhannes
Core developer

Zu jeder Aktivität gibt es den Link "Mehr über die VO2max Schätzung". Da siehst du dann, dass der VO2max-Wert aus der durchschnittlichen Herzfrequenz, der durchschnittlichen Pace und Anstieg/Abstieg ermittelt wird.

Eine Variante, die 1) die ersten Minuten ignoriert, 2) nur "zuverlässige" Abschnitte verwendet und 3) GAP nutzt, ist in Vorbereitung.
User help -- short questions via Twitter, Facebook
mulberryfortune
Neuling

I would like to understand the "Effective VO2MAX" value as shown in the dashboard a little bit better. I have attached screenshots of a recent run, where I first walk for 1 kilometer (to warm up), then run for 3 kilometers, and then walk 1 kilometer (for cool-down), and then do some stretching at the end, for a total of 5+ kilometers. When I look at this activity, and analyse the intervals separately (by clicking on "More details about your laps", I can see these values for each interval:

1st km: VO2max = 33.67 (walking)
2nd km: VO2max = 44.81 (running)
3rd km: VO2max = 36.22 (running)
4th km: VO2max = 32.34 (running)
5th km: VO2max = 17.33 (walking)
6th km: VO2max = 19.11 (stretching, standing still)

My "Effective VO2MAX" is showing as 29.80 for this activity, which I think is the average of all the intervals. But should it then not be called "Average VO2", and not include the word "MAX" at all? I thought that perhaps my VO2MAX in this activity is 44.8, the maximum VO2 value calculated?

I wuld be grateful for a clarification of "VO2 Max" vs "Avg VO2 Max" vs "Effiective VO2 Max", and how I should think about my VO2 Max in this context. Which is my correct Vo2Max value: is it 29.80 or 44.81 (or something else)?
Attachments
Inervals.png
Inervals.png (390.39 KiB) Viewed 341 times
Dashboard.png
Dashboard.png (476.31 KiB) Viewed 341 times
laufhannes
Core developer

First of all: It's an estimation. There is no 'exact' calculation of your (Effective) VO2max and all estimations have some errors.

The values you see for your laps are all values (i.e. single estimations) for your 'VO2max', not for your VO2. That means: No, it's not right the calculate the maximum of those lap values to get your overall VO2max estimate. For example, calculate your laps for every 100m and you'll see how much those values vary. At the very beginning and after each pause, values will be higher than normally as the heart rate starts at a lower level. That's why we use the average pace and heart rate (which does not exactly equal the average of your lap values, as the calculations are not linear).

We have some improvements on our list to use only 'valid' segments for estimation (in your case that should result in ignoring at least the first and the last kilometer), but that's not ready for production yet.
mulberryfortune
Neuling

OK, thank you for explaining that. Since my HR goes up for each kilometer (when I keep running at roughly constant speed), and only stabilizes during my 3:rd and final running kilometer, perhaps that value (32.34 in the table above) is the most accurate estimate of my VO2Max? Or would you say it is the average of the three running km, so (44.81 + 36.22 + 32.34) / 3 = 37.79 ?

I do understand that it is an estimate either way, and I will soon be measuring my real VO2Max in a sports lab, so then I can compare. But it's still interesting to try and make the best possible estimate now.

Thank you also so much for a fantastic software platform!
laufhannes
Core developer

mulberryfortune wrote: Sat 19. Jun 2021, 14:51 OK, thank you for explaining that. Since my HR goes up for each kilometer (when I keep running at roughly constant speed), and only stabilizes during my 3:rd and final running kilometer, perhaps that value (32.34 in the table above) is the most accurate estimate of my VO2Max? Or would you say it is the average of the three running km, so (44.81 + 36.22 + 32.34) / 3 = 37.79 ?

I do understand that it is an estimate either way, and I will soon be measuring my real VO2Max in a sports lab, so then I can compare. But it's still interesting to try and make the best possible estimate now.
I'd expect the value for your 3:rd kilometer to be your best guess. It's quite normal that the value for the first minutes is off as heart rate starts rising (although 3 km is a rather long duration).

Concerning the lab testing: Please keep in mind, that the VO2max from lab will NOT equal your 'Effective VO2max'. The lab value is (simply spoken) what your heart is able to produce. That's not necessarily equal to what your body (especially your legs) are able to 'bring to the road'. Our 'Effective VO2max' is the result of combining your lab VO2max with your running style / efficiency.

Return to “Calculations / Berechnungen”