kallikles
Neuling

How to upgrade timezone of old activities in online version?

Wed 11. May 2016, 17:48

Many thanks to the developers for version 5 and the much needed timezone management!

One question: the update instructions in the blog show how to upgrade the installation on the desktop version of Runalyze. I assume the upgrade will take care of fixing the time-related information for all past activities as well as the new ones? If so, is there a way to update the time-related info on the online version of Runalyze? My new activities show correct times and days, but the old ones are still incorrect (I am on UTC -5, and they are still all on UTC + 1).

Thanks for the helps and for the wonderful app.

Cheers,

Stefano
0 x

mipapo
Administrator

Re: How to upgrade timezone of old activities in online version?

Wed 11. May 2016, 19:30

Hi Stefano,
During the update of the online version we have updated all activities to UTC time in our database, but this has no impact of the shown time of the activity.

In the normal case any user should have uploaded her/his activity and update the time manually. Yep, the time was only valid for users in the german timezone. So any other user had to update the time of the activity manually. Runalyze was a small private application and has grown. So I'm really sorry that you may have to update the activities manually. An alternative would be to delete all activities and upload them again. Currently a bulk mode for updating/deleting activities is not available.
0 x
###Donate to RUNALYZE###
Höhenmeter (Korrektur & Berechnung) - Nutzerhilfe/User help -

Run Happy!,
Michael
P.S. Ich antworte gerne kurz und knackig ;)

kallikles
Neuling

Wed 11. May 2016, 23:56

Thanks for the quick reply Michael!

Unfortunately, I have too many activities to update manually. I think I'll stick with the current data. But it's good that they'll have the correct time/day information from now on.

There is one more time-related question, though: I travel quite a bit across timezones. Should I do anything when I upload activities coming from a timezone different than the one I normally live in?

Cheers,

Stefano
0 x

laufhannes
Core developer

Thu 12. May 2016, 07:05

Can you provide your account name and the exact time range of activities that should be adjusted via mail (support@...)? And are they all six hours ahead of their real time or is there a difference between summer and winter? As the server time was changing between +1 and +2 because of daylight saving time in middle Europe, this may not be a constant.

Currently, Runalyze tries to read the time zone from the activity file. Sadly, most files do not include a correct time zone information. Timestamps appear quite often in Zulu time and even if there's a time zone information, it's not always correct (Polar seems to have problems). That's why we use the account's time zone as a fallback in most cases. - In this situation, you have to adjust the time manually when traveling.

But from the next release on (v2.6), Runalyze will use an internal time zone database to read the time zone from the activity's coordinates, provided-that the file contains coordinates. In that situation, your account's time zone doesn't matter and you don't have to adjust anything - otherwise it's probably due to a buggy file.

Best,
Hannes
0 x
User help -- short questions via Twitter, Facebook

kallikles
Neuling

Sun 15. May 2016, 22:49

HI Hannes,

my account name is kallikles, but it is nor really worth bothering about. Most but not all of my activities are from Texas, which is usually 7 hrs ahead of Central European Time except for a week in Spring and Fall, when our switch to/from daylight saving time is out of sync with Europe's. Besides, I also have activities from Europe and California...but it is not a problem, I just wanted to make sure I knew how to enter the right data from here on. Now I know I'll have to enter the time manually if the time zone is different from what my settings specify, i.e different from US Central Time.

Thanks again for the great app.

Cheers,

Stefano
0 x

Return to “Runalyze v2.5.x”